Surviving Finals Week 101
Finals week. That one week of the semester where we feel our brains are constantly about to explode. Luckily, we have some tips for everyone as they enter their last few weeks of classes and exams! These next 7 tips are sure to relieve some stress.
- Plan Ahead – A big mistake that so many of us make is studying the weekend before finals and thinking that everything will turn out just fine later that week. What’s even worse is the fact that if we had just planned ahead, we could have improved our scores by a few points, maybe even a letter grade. To avoid this, create a plan about 3 weeks out from your own finals week. Look at the syllabuses from all your courses and determine whether each course is cumulative or not. From there, you will be able to create a strong schedule of allowing more time for one course, rather than another.
- Create an Effective Environment – When we sit down to study, we should be placing ourselves in an environment free of distraction. One of the best ways to do this is to take two subjects with you, and find a building that has desks in its hallways. Post up camp in one of these desks and do not leave. Don’t bring headphones; don’t bring anything but the necessities. Allowing yourself to focus on only one thing, is sure to increase retention and productivity. What’s even more, have a friend change your Facebook and Twitter passwords – this will keep you from constantly checking during your study breaks and getting out of your groove.
Also, try your best to avoid study groups. Though they hold to their purpose as far as motivation goes, it does not always allow us to think independently and move at our own pace. If you do choose to study in a group setting, make sure your peers are of equal intelligence, so you are not hindering your own learning.
- Eat – Our bodies and brains need energy and power to make it through these next few weeks, one of the best ways to improve our potential is by taking control of our diet. Limiting sugar, caffeine, and saturated fat intake, will allow our bodies to uphold the stresses and anxiety that finals week puts on our bodies. Remember, caffeine is a temporary solution, which actually dehydrates us. Increasing our water intake and staying hydrated will help to increase concentration.
An extra tip to avoid any unnecessary weight gain – make sure to keep all of your snacks in a container. Put the exact serving size and travel with that, not the entire box or bag. This will allow you to avoid over indulgence.
- Exercise – This may be one of the last things that you have on your list to complete, but it should be just as important as getting enough to eat. Carve out 45 minutes, every other day, devoted to just hitting the gym. Allowing yourself that time to be away from the books, computers, and everything else school related, will allow you to come back to your study spot with a clean slate. Exercise is one of the best ways to increase concentration AND it helps with retention!
- Maintain Balance – I know we are all broke college students and need to make money, but if you can afford it, adjust your working hours in these next few weeks. Along with that, limit extra curricular activities, too. Stretching oneself too thin in a stressful time such as finals, is only setting you up for failure.
- Sleep – Let’s start off with this point… ALL NIGHTERS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE. Being without sleep for over 24 hours is the equivalent of being under the influence. Although some may feel that it is an effective way to get their projects done, all it does is hinder their performance that next day. We college students need anywhere from 7-9 hours of sleep per night, to maintain optimal wellness. Needless to say, get some rest.
- Reward Yourself – Although you should be studying as much as possible, allow yourself to take a break. Whether its watching one episode of your new Netflix addiction, going to get a snack with a friend, or even just going for a walk – taking a short break at least twice during every 3 hour study period allows the brain to more clearly process all of the incoming information.
We hope that all of these tips can help our readers end their semester on a great note! Best of luck during your last few weeks of class and exams!
The Greekgear Team
Did you know that according to USA today, all but three US Presidents since 1825 have been members of a fraternity? Also, 85% of Fortune 500 executives were involved in Greek life. How about the females in sororities? Lets see, the first female astronaut was in a sorority, the first female senator, and, most importantly, Elle Woods! I had no idea so many famous women got their start in sororities! Here are a few more leading ladies that got their starts in Greek life and went on to do great things.
Katie was a member of Delta Delta Delta at the University of Virginia. All you Tri-Delts out there, you are in good company!
Condoleeza joined the Alpha Chi Omega sorority while she was a piano/poli sci major. This worked perfectly for her because Alpha Chi was a sorority with musical origins.
Kate Spade went to Arizona State University where she majored in journalism. Spade was an Omega member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. I personally LOVE anything Kate Spade! Totally adorable.
You may not know this name right off the bat, but you will be singing her praises when I tell you who she is. She is the creator of Spanx! The world’s best way to suck it all in when you need to well, suck it all in! She is the youngest woman to be on the cover of Forbes’ Billionaire list and was a member of Delta Delta Delta at Florida State University.
We hope you have learned more about some of the leading ladies who got their start in sororities! They are such an inspiration.
The Greek Gear Team
We all have that one girlfriend that we just cannot live without. She’s the peanut to your jelly and the milk to your Oreo. She just “gets” you, plain and simple. Whether you are a workin’ woman or nose deep in planning for the next sorority event, you should always make time for your BFF. How can you show her you love her? By taking her on a date, of course! Dates aren’t just for you and your man candy, they are for your bestie, too! Here are some handy date ideas for you and your BFF:
- Start a TV series together: what I mean is, pick out a TV series on Netflix or on TV and make it a point to watch episodes together. Don’t watch it without one another, that way you are motivated to spend time with each other! And, as an added bonus, you two will be on the same page when it comes to the show and you can have fun discussing it together!
- Make a best friend bucket list: come up with things that you are dying to do together. It can be anything from skydiving to vacationing in Hawaii! Be creative!
- Cook each other dinner: take turns cooking each other your favorite meal. Why YOUR favorite meal? So they can learn more about what YOU love, even if it is just your favorite dish!
Next time you feel like spoiling your sister from another mister, take her out on a date! Treat her right, and get her home before curfew. 😉
The Greek Gear Team
It is officially spring and we are pumped! As we welcomed spring for the ladies, we also know the gentlemen should have just as much of a reason to be excited! At Greekgear, we have awesome products that will ease your transition out of the muggy winter and into the spring and summer. Let’s get ready to enjoy the sun!
Best part about sun? Shorts are finally acceptable, without everyone thinking you’re crazy (you know this is a constant struggle)! Our Fraternity Shorts are easily one of the best ways to stay cool as the days get hotter. They’re great for walks to class, hanging out outside, and the best part, you’re always prepared for a pick up game!
With the weather getting warmer, our feet need to be more comfortable, too. That’s why these Toegoz Flip Flops are a must. Fantastic for any spring and summer day, all you have to do is slip ‘em on when you’re running late, on your way to the pool, or when you’re feelin’ extra fratty! Extremely comfortable and personalized to show off your fraternity’s letters and colors.
Finally, with all of the sun, we have to make sure we’re keeping our eyes protected. Our Wayfarer Sunglasses are the solution to keeping your eyes healthy, while also adding a touch of style to your day. These come in organization appropriate colors, with your letters on the sides, and a nod to your fraternity’s crest! You can never have too many pairs of shades!
Don’t forget to secure your new glasses with one of our top sellers, our croakies. Also group color appropriate, these have your fraternity’s name spelled out on the back. Be loud and proud of your brotherhood! They’re our favorite way to keep our glasses safe when running around in the sun!
Spring into spring with these awesome products!
The Greek Gear Team
Graduation is fast approaching, which also means that the job market is beckoning! When most college students graduate, they jump into interview mode, trying to find the best job they can. Lucky for you, your sorority experience will boost your marketability and make you a hot candidate for a lot of jobs! Here are a few tips on how to use your sorority experience to land a great job, and a few interview tips for along the way.
- Maintain your network of sisters. You never know when a fellow sorority sister may be able to help you land a great job at a growing business, or maybe even just put a good word in for you to a prospective employer. Use your vast connections to your advantage! How do you think 48% of all US presidents got to where they are? They were Greek! They used their connections to get to where they wanted to go.
- Walk the walk. Sororities teach you how to dress the part for any situation, which comes in handy during job interview time. They teach you to look your best when it counts! In an interview, the best way to dress is classy. Get a feel for the business, see what kind of attire they gravitate towards, and base your interview attire off of what you observe.
- Build a strong resume. You would be surprised at all of the sorority events you can add to your resume! Businesses love to see people who have experience in handling budgets, can manage a group, and can also build a successful marketing campaign. These are all skills that planning events and recruitment can teach you! Use your sorority experiences to your advantage. You worked hard, let it be known!
We hope that these tips help you land a great job that will help you grow both as am individual and a member of society. We also congratulate you on your upcoming graduation and wish you the best.
The Greek Gear Team