So you’ve joined a sorority. Good for you! You have just joined a sisterhood that will change your life. Now that you are a member, it is time to choose your Big. What does that even mean? What does that entail? How in the world do I choose? Here’s the skinny:
In a sorority, your Big is an upperclassman member of the chapter that will be your confidon, go-to girl, and pro advice-giver. Preferably, this sorority member should be one that you look up to and feel totally comfortable with. She will be your mentor through your “newbie” stage of being a member of a sorority and will share a special bond with you even after college. Think of these things when choosing a Big.
- Who do you see as someone who could be your mentor as an initiated member?
- Who do you want to share special moments with throughout your college experience?
- In your chapter, who do you look up to?
- Is there a member that has an officer position that you think you would like to have one day?
- Is this woman a person who is only fun on the weekends or is she someone who is consistent and accountable to put you in your place if you start to slip?
These are all great attributes to look for in your future Big. You want someone who will support you and lead you. Your Big will be someone that will encourage you in both your sorority and your schooling as well as your career.
No matter who your Big ends up being, value the relationship and appreciate the new bond. You were put together for a reason! Getting a Big is an exciting time, so cherish every member of this new experience!
The Greek Gear Team