It is every sorority girl’s favorite time of year…Winter Formal time! Winter formal means you get to buy a pretty dress and pretty heels to match. To some girls, the words “high heels” are curse words. Yes, heels can be uncomfortable and a little hard to commandeer at times, but there really IS an art to walking in heels.
- Start small: You wouldn’t run a marathon without training, would you? I certainly wouldn’t. That is why if you rarely wear heals, don’t reach for the 5 inch stilettos come formal. Start off with a 2 inch heel, just to get familiar with the feeling. If you slowly work your way up you will be rockin those 5 inch heels in no time at all.
- If the shoe fits…: The size DOES matter. You have got to make sure your heels fit right or you are in for a world of hurt. If the shoes are too big you will be walking around awkwardly all night and will probably feel like a clown with huge shoes. If the shoes are too small your feet will feel cramped and you will be feeling the burn. Your foot size changes over the years, so get your feet sized before stepping out in those stilettos.
- Take a breather: Take a sit. There is no shame in having a little break from time to time. When you rest frequently it keeps you walking more comfortably.
- Pump the breaks: Wearing heels naturally makes your strides shorter, so you have to take more steps than usual. Slow your roll! The faster you try and walk in heels the funnier you look.
- Move to a beat: When you are walking in flats do you think about the steps you are taking? Nope. The same goes for walking in heels, don’t over think it! Try and walk to a beat when you are wearing heels. It will help you even your strides and make your walking look effortless.
We hope that these tips will help you walk like Beyonce at your Winter Formal!
The Greek Gear team
Whether you are a sorority veteran or a newbie to Greek life, one of the most important morals that a sister can possess is her congeniality, or just plain niceness! It is amazing how many hurt feelings and how much drama among sisters could be avoided if everyone adapted those qualities! Here are a few friendly tips on how to be the nicest, most likeable sorority sister around!
- Smile: Smiling at someone shows them that you acknowledge them and that you are happy to see them! Everyone loves to see a smiling face. Smile at chapter meetings, at your sisters on campus, wherever you go! Even if you don’t know a certain member, toss ‘em a smile.
- Greet: Greet new members and introduce yourself to them! Take the initiative and reach out to them, don’t wait for them to come to you! First impressions are CRUCIAL.
- Laugh: Find every excuse to laugh. Being able to make people laugh and having a sense of humor is a very useful trait. Everyone loves the “super nice” sorority girl that is always laughing and smiling!
- Initiate: Always be sure to show your sisters that you are interested in what is happening in their lives. Be known as the sister that is easy to talk to and that cares about everyone!
- Compliment: Compliments are the way to a girl’s heart. Tell them how much you love their new hair style or their outfit. Girls love other girls who have good taste.
- Be Polite: Whether they are your best friend or worst foe, be polite to everyone. It shows that you are classy and mature.
- Quit the Cussing: Everyone slips out a bad word now and then, but constant cussing is just not enjoyable to be around. It offends your sisters more than you think. Don’t be the girl that everyone secretly thinks is a potty mouth!
- Help: Volunteer to help clean up after a party, help out with a chapter project, anything you can! Not only does this earn you brownie points with the higher-ups in the sorority, it also shows the other sisters that you are a dedicated member and will make them step up as well.
- Be Patient: As you have heard a billion times, patience is a virtue. Patience is a sign of maturity.
- Respect: Respect others, but most of all, respect yourself! Treat others as you would want to be treated and all will be fine and dandy.
The Greek Gear Team