It is every sorority girl’s favorite time of year…Winter Formal time! Winter formal means you get to buy a pretty dress and pretty heels to match. To some girls, the words “high heels” are curse words. Yes, heels can be uncomfortable and a little hard to commandeer at times, but there really IS an art to walking in heels.
- Start small: You wouldn’t run a marathon without training, would you? I certainly wouldn’t. That is why if you rarely wear heals, don’t reach for the 5 inch stilettos come formal. Start off with a 2 inch heel, just to get familiar with the feeling. If you slowly work your way up you will be rockin those 5 inch heels in no time at all.
- If the shoe fits…: The size DOES matter. You have got to make sure your heels fit right or you are in for a world of hurt. If the shoes are too big you will be walking around awkwardly all night and will probably feel like a clown with huge shoes. If the shoes are too small your feet will feel cramped and you will be feeling the burn. Your foot size changes over the years, so get your feet sized before stepping out in those stilettos.
- Take a breather: Take a sit. There is no shame in having a little break from time to time. When you rest frequently it keeps you walking more comfortably.
- Pump the breaks: Wearing heels naturally makes your strides shorter, so you have to take more steps than usual. Slow your roll! The faster you try and walk in heels the funnier you look.
- Move to a beat: When you are walking in flats do you think about the steps you are taking? Nope. The same goes for walking in heels, don’t over think it! Try and walk to a beat when you are wearing heels. It will help you even your strides and make your walking look effortless.
We hope that these tips will help you walk like Beyonce at your Winter Formal!
The Greek Gear team